January 17, 2013
Ofcom has today announced the award of six new community radio licences for services in Scotland.
Community radio services are provided on a not-for-profit basis focusing on the delivery of specific social benefits to a particular geographical community or a community of interest.
The awards are to:
- K-Town FM, Kinglassie and surrounding area, Fife
- KYFM, Kirkcaldy, Fife
- Nevis Radio, Fort William and surrounding area, Scottish Highlands
- Irvine Beat FM, parts of Irvine, North Ayrshire
- Keith Community Radio, Moray
- Deveron FM, Banff and Macduff, Aberdeenshire
Details of these new community radio services are as follows:
K-Town FM will provide a community radio service catering for the people of the former mining communities of Kinglassie and surrounding towns and villages.
KYFM will serve the town of Kirkcaldy and surrounding areas in Fife.
This community radio service will provide an all-inclusive service to people living in or visiting Lochaber in the Scottish Highlands. As a result of being awarded this new licence, Nevis Radio will be required to surrender its existing commercial radio licence.
Irvine Beat FM
Irvine Beat FM will serve people in the Fullarton, Harbourside, Redburn, Vineburgh and Castlepark areas of Irvine. The station output will have a particular emphasis placed on the improving the health and general well-being of the residents.
Keith Community Radio
Keith Community Radio will provide a service for people who live in Moray.
Deveron FM will broadcast a community radio service for the population of Banff, Macduff and surrounding areas.
Licences are awarded for a five-year period.
A statement setting out the main determining factors for the award of the community radio licences referred to above will be published on our website in due course.
Ofcom recently announced that over 200 community radio stations are now on air.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
- In addition to the licence awards detailed above, Ofcom considered one further application, but decided not to award a licence to the following group:
- Generate Radio, the county of Berwickshire.